adrastus-ao forums
October 16, 2018, 04:57:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Registration will only be enabled on weekends (if I remember)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RIFT-ers?  (Read 5860 times)
Silars
Apprentice

« on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:57 AM »

Couple of the folks I game with have been pushing RIFT.  Anyone else out there looking at it?

I haven't given it much thought, really.
Jutlin
Members
Novice

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »

looks interesting.

Azeroth on steroids it seems, very complex skill trees, so it looks like they're trying to reduce cookie cutting.
Nice gfx too.  I can't resist cool looking new mmo's tbh.
Jutlin
Members
Novice

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »

Downloading the beta client now.  Gonna give it a shot this weekend.
Have to drink heavily tonight first.
Silars
Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »

Couple of friends from Aion and I are on Shadefallen (PVE-RP).  Yes, it's RP, but that was one of the few that looked minimally loaded when we started.

We're playing Defiant.  Toon name is Linnea.
Jutlin
Members
Novice

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:11:27 AM »

Hey so what'd you think?

Was pretty interesting for me.
I felt like support classes, you had to start off with some sort of offense or direct defense class, and then your later classes were support, or you'd be screwed.
Also felt like healing wasn't so direct most of the time, was more about absorbs and stuff like that.
Great graphics, a little buggy for some parts, but otherwise pretty nice.
What level did you get up to?
Silars
Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:23:30 PM »

I'm level 35 (current cap).

The role/soul system is fantastic.  As a Mage archetype, I could configure my role for healer, pet dps, or dd dps.  I was going to save my 4th role for PvP optimization.

As a healer role, I had the ability to main heal the instances.  Pretty interesting capability while playing a Mage.  Adds layers to the game as well as reduces class dependency and monotony.  In fact, was the most fun I had playing a healing class in a game.  For the Mage (Chloromancer), your healing is a result of your damage.  So, really, you are dps'ing.  Just, to heal properly, you need to pick the right spells.

It is very WoW-like in most other aspects.  So, you'll have that feel from the game.  Rifts are fun, but are also redundant.

I'm still torn on the total package.  Warfronts are limited.  I'm not a small (6-15) combat lover.  I want larger fights with land control functions.  Ideally, designed to limit the effectiveness of mob mentality (many control points, with backdoors).  Unless Rift can demonstrate someway to simulate massive fights, I'll probably pass.
Jutlin
Members
Novice

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »

You know, I'm with you on the small battles thing, but I think the graphics are too heavy to support something huge.  I think all good graphics mmo's appreciate that and give you instances.   Not many games let you go all out with a huge army anymore, if any do at all.
That said, I don't know, I'm tempted, but it did feel like, go kill 8 of this, 8 of that.   So i'm not sure I want to sign up for a grind again. 
Meh!
And swtor isn't coming out until no one plays mmo's anymore, likewise, neither will Secret World.
AO should merge servers at this point.
Clams are at 20 percent xp bonus, omni at 3 %.  We were at 1.9 percent not too long ago either.  No t7 bases, nothing, we just suck.
Oh well.
Silars
Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »

Yeah, the only two major features of Rift are the modular skill trees (souls/roles) and the dynamic content/rifts (though debateable).  Everything else is very WoW-ish, especially the questing.  You actually can just Rift and level if you want, thereby skipping all the quests.  Not sure how much fun that is vs. questing.

I'm also not sure what SW:ToR and Secret World are going to do differently as far as leveling/grinding.  It is a very hard paradigm to change.  I still have not seen anything from Secret World to wet my whistle.  In fact, my experience with Age of Conan has severely tarnished my vision of anything with a Funcom label.  I just don't think they have the game designers to make a great game.  They make good games, but not great.  They always have major flaws.

AO was always subject to the seesaw effect.  That is the fate of all open world PvP systems with only 2 sides.  If they wanted to make it more dynamic, they'd add a 3rd faction somehow.  Aion is suffering from this right now.  Servers are pretty much just dominated by one side or the other, typically the side with the most actives.

Right now, I'm leaning on going back to PlanetSide Next when it releases.  I'm also keeping an eye on FireFall.  Earthrise could be interesting, but the updates on that game are few and far between.
Jutlin
Members
Novice

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »

Secret world will apparently have no levels, so it may be interesting, and no classes at all.  Basically you can activate certain learned skills for the instance/issue you're dealing with, so you can say: team of 4 needs one more, and they can fill whatever role you need for that instance or you can change them up if you are not doing well.  At least I think that's the idea behind it.

Arcvile
Novice

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:53:28 AM »

So will any ex-AO'rs be playing Rift?  Couldn't resist the shiny in the end and am currently downloading for the head start. 
Jutlin
Members
Novice

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:25:35 PM »

I think I am but not pre-order or anything.

Have to wait until I can sneak it past the wife!
Silars
Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »

Decided against it.

1.  Only 3 Warfronts with 6-15 players each.  Not big enough fights for me.  Was hoping for at least 40.
2.  They are waffling on 10 and 20 man PvE content.  No firm direction scares me.
3.  No real world pvp objectives.  They claim to have a plan, but nothing in game yet.

I was really hoping they'd address the whole issue of "Why do you PvP?".  In AO, you had Notum Wars.  DAoC...that's just how you lived.  Even in Aion, you fought over fortresses and artifacts.  WoW failed here, but made it up with a superb PvE experience.

Plus, I have to wait on PlanetSide Next before making any firm commitments.  We're supposed to hear more about it in March.
Arcvile
Novice

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 01:25:23 PM »

I'm playing it at the moment, but it's more off a time filler for me whilst waiting for SWTOR.  The class thing is interesting and the game feels like a cross between WoW and WAR
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: